Wednesday, June 17, 2020

LIE LOW

I stood at the foot
of the mountain
and gazed skyward.
I bent my neck
as far back as I could.
Clouds engulfed the peak.
I had neither the desire
nor the drive
to climb to the top.
Even if I succeeded
in scaling those heights, 
I knew that in the end
it would not be worth the effort.
I turned and looked
in the opposite direction.
A grassless and treeless plain
stretched toward the horizon
and disappeared in the distance.
If I started walking,
where would I be going?
And would I ever arrive there?
If I did arrive there,
would I be satisfied
that I had made
the right choice?
I was caught
between a rock
and a hard place.
I sat down.
It seemed to be
the logical deduction
based on the absurdity
of my circumstances.
She had brought me here
with only this advice:
"Lie low."

No comments:

Post a Comment

MOTHER'S DAY!!!

Today is Easter Sunday. I fixed bacon and eggs for Claudia and myself. We were going to sit on the back patio, but the morning sun was in a ...