Incredibly, on Facebook's pages, few come to the defense of God or the Bible. Even among the most ignorant, they recognize that Christianity is a mythology that evolved from other mythologies. If Christ had only died for our sins with no promise of eternal life, would Christianity exist?
Man, with an ego that is comparable to Trump's, insists that he is made in the image and likeness of God and that he will live forever. I'm not sure if I would want to live forever, but it is an intriguing idea. I never tire of savoring this world's juiciest fruit, particularly those hanging from the lowest limbs.
In my most logical and objective state, however, based on 70 years of observing and thinking and endeavoring my best to arrive at a rational conclusion, Christianity is humanity's unwillingness to accept the finality of death.
As a life-long Catholic, nevertheless, that doesn't mean I won't request a priest if Coronavirus has ambushed me when I had hoped to survive another decade. When you have been indoctrinated since birth that hell is waiting for the unrepentant who defied God's glory, it never hurts to err on the side of caution. I am as big a coward as any yellow-bellied nobody when it comes to the unknown.
As an after thought, I endorse teaching the Bible in school. Those who believe in the Bible would find themselves on the defensive, no different than Republicans defending our evil, immoral, decadent and perverted president, explaining the mass killings, the murders, the sex and the other sordid details of the Great Book's heroes and heroines.
On the other hand, if Christianity brings you comfort, embrace it, but just like you wouldn't want to share your spouse with anyone else, keep your love to yourself. But don't take it personally if the individual you think is the most beautiful or the most handsome being on the planet is called uglier than sin by those who don't share your opinion.
No comments:
Post a Comment