I will remain in my cool room, write stories, take sedatives, drink wine and venture onto the balcony to recline in the morning sun like a turtle on a log until I pass into darkness. (I hear foolish talk about our energy zipping throughout the universe, but I would argue that a loud, smelly fart has more substance than my spirit.)
The Xanax is kicking in. I'm feeling positive. I can't run like I once did, but I can take long walks. I can't cover the tennis court like I once could, but I can play doubles and stroke from the baseline. I can't exercise with the same energy, but I can stretch slowly. The phone rings.
"How are things going?" asks Scott Steinbeck, the managing editor of The McHale Report.
"Everything is fine," I answer. "No complaints. Just finished the column."
Much like sex, a completed column brings temporary satisfaction. But there is no rest. In less than 24 hours that drive will be making its demands again. But I have no regrets. If I am conscious in the next stage, I will savor my memories of my brief duration as a human being.
No comments:
Post a Comment